This recipe is a very simple yet tasty omelette recipe involving grilled eggplant. This omelette could be enjoyed with other dishes like garlic fried rice and mango salad for a complete meal and can be eaten during breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Eggs – 4 pieces, medium
- Fish sauce – 1 tbsp
- Plum tomato – 1 piece, large, diced into small pieces
- Pork – 10 ounces, ground
- Onion – 1 piece, medium, diced in small pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil – as needed
- Japanese eggplants – 2 pieces
- On an open flame or grill, scorch the skins of the eggplants until they’re blackened. Put them on a dish. Cover with plastic wrap or lid that is tight-fitting.
- Allow the eggplants to steam in its residual heat until they become limp. Once they’ve cooled down, peel the skins gently. Set the eggplants aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add the onion then sauté until it becomes soft. Mix the ground pork in, then sauté until well-cooked. Add the tomato and fish sauce and cook until the fishy smell is replaced by a mellow aroma. Set the mixture aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs until it turns frothy. Add the eggplants on the bowl. With the use of a fork, mash the meat of the eggplants until they’re flattened. Add the pork mixture. Make sure that the eggplants and pork mixture would be coated well with the eggs. Season with pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium-level heat and carefully place the eggplant mixture. The stem ends should be sticking up. Turn the eggplant over once its edges turns opaque.
- Once the eggplants are ready, immediately serve on a platter.