Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a filling meal. This south-of-the-border-inspired casserole is a great way to feed a family. Boxed Jiffy cornbread mix, ground beef, corn, and a few additional ingredients make for a hearty dinner, and best of all, this dish reheats very well.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mexican Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef
Mexican Cornbread casserole has been one of my favorite weeknight meals to make. I love how simple this casserole is to put together. With some taco seasoned ground beef and a few extra ingredients, you can turn this recipe into something your family will love.
Mexican Cornbread with Meat
Casseroles are a wonderful dish to make for a meal during the week. This Mexican cornbread bake is very easy to put together. I like to keep a couple of boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix on hand for recipes just like this one.
You can be flexible in this recipe—you could use any sausage instead of the hamburger meat. If you have a few extra leftover vegetables in the refrigerator, green beans, and carrots are just as tasty in here is the corn.
What Makes Mexican Cornbread Casserole the Perfect Weeknight Meal?
Weekday meals must be easy to get on the table, easy to clean up, and most importantly, something that everyone in your family loves. Mexican Cornbread Casserole with ground beef fits this definition to a “T.”
It stores well in the fridge and wonderfully in the freezer. You can get away with serving it as a one-dish meal and it also goes with a ton of sides.
And, happily, no one in your family will ever complain that it is Mexican Cornbread with meat night!
Mexican Corn Bread Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- Ground beef – I like to use ground chuck, you could swap this out for sausage if you desire
- Taco seasoning mix – you can use one package or 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning
- 2 boxes of Jiffy Mix cornbread. If you don’t like Jiffy Mix, use 2 packages that total up to a dry weight of 17 ounces
- 1 can of cream style corn
- 1 can of corn kernels
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, Mexican cheese blend, or Monterey Jack would also work well
- 1 small can of green chilies
How to Make Mexican Cornbread Casserole
Here are the simple recipe steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the taco seasoning according to the package directions. Set the meat mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine two boxes of jiffy cornbread mix according to the package directions. Stir in half of the cream corn and half of the canned corn.
- Spread half of the jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking pan. Top with seasoned meat.
- Then top the seasoned meat with the remaining corn kernels and creamed corn.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese, and then the remaining cornbread batter, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and serve.
Customize Mexican Cornbread Casserole with Fun Toppings
Make your casserole fun with these exciting toppings. There is no reason why any night of the week can’t be fun. This Mexican cornbread casserole is one of those easy recipes you are going to want to keep on hand.
- A drizzle of your favorite taco sauce
- Fresh jalapeno peppers or pickled jalapeno peppers if you like a little less heat
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Additional shredded cheese if desired
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced black olives
How To Serve Mexican Cornbread Casserole With Meat
When the casserole comes out of the oven, let it cool for about five minutes. Then run the tip of a sharp knife along the inside edge of the casserole dish.
Cut the Mexican Cornbread into squares and use a spatula to transfer each portion to a plate. Top with your choice of sour cream, green onions, drained canned beans, cheese, or salsa.
What To Serve With Mexican Cornbread Casserole
Although Mexican Cornbread with ground beef makes a great meal on its own, adding a flavorful dish on the side will make it more filling. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Beans. Baked beans and cornbread is a classic combination, but Texas Chili Beans go better with this recipe. You may also want to try a classic Three Bean Salad.
- Grilled vegetables. Brush your favorite veggies with oil, season wells, and grill over medium heat until nicely charred. No grill? Try these Roasted Brussels Sprouts instead.
- Green salad. A simple salad with a little balsamic vinegarette or Italian dressing adds a lot of crunch and some tang to the meal.
How To Store Cornbread Mexican Casserole
Go ahead and make this dish ahead of time. Keep it in the casserole dish, cover the top with aluminum foil, and the casserole will stay fresh for three days in the fridge. It freezes wonderfully.
- Let the Mexican Cornbread cool to room temperature.
- Transfer each slice to a freezer-safe container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Freeze for up to two months.
- Thaw in the fridge if frozen.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place Mexican Cornbread slices in a casserole dish or an oven-safe cast iron pot. Leave some space between each piece.
- Spray the top of the cornbread with little water to keep it from drying out.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil or a lid.
- Reheat in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until warm.
Do you love casseroles? Try these recipes!
More Mexican Food Recipes
Be sure to take a look at more of my main dish casserole recipes and easy to make Mexican food.
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
You can make amazing Mexican Cornbread Casserole. It reheats so well.
Add to Collection Go to Collections
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1.25 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 17 ounces cornbread mix 2 boxes (jiffy mix recommended)
- 14 ounce cream-style corn canned
- 14 ounces corn canned
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces green chilies canned
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until it browns, drain beef. Add the taco seasoning per package directions.
In a large bowl mix the corn muffin batter per package directions. Stir in half of the cream-style corn and half of the regular corn.
Spread half of the cornbread batter in the baking pan. Top the cornbread base with taco meat. Mix the remaining cream-style corn and corn kernels and spread that over the meat.
Sprinkle with half of the grated cheese, then the green chiles. Spread the remaining cornbread mixture on top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cornbread is baked through. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then cut into squares to serve.
Top with toppings if you desire.
- Swap half of the Cheddar cheese for grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle into the taco seasoning mix
You can freeze the leftovers for about 3 months.
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 805mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 5.8mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 2.3mg